[rules-dev] BRMS/Guvnor Custom User Interface

Asif Akram asif.akram at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 14:19:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

    I am working on large peer-to-peer project in UK. The project is
similar with typical peer-to-peer resource sharing but sharing mainly
multimedia contents. Each resource will has policy attached to it, which
will decide how other peers can use that resource. Though the project is
peer-to-peer but I want a central repository for policies. BRMS/Guvnor
meets our requirements but we need non-web based interaction with
BRMS/Guvnor.

    I was wondering is it possible to have custom Swing GUI interacting
with BRMS/Guvnor? Technically it should not be difficult but I am not
sure where to start i.e.

implementing custom Servlet for communication between BRMS/Guvnor and GUI
using the RestAPI Servlet (I have no experience of Restful Web Services)
(or) implementing conventional Web Services (my preferred choice)

The custom Swing will only use BRMS/Guvnor as rules repository i.e.
querying the repository, uploading new rules/packages or downloading the
policies. Policies will be created elsewhere. Any suggestion and pointer
will be helpful.

Cheers
Asif