[rules-dev] Final take on performance .

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Aug 18 03:14:11 EDT 2008

A rule engine is java code, so well crafted java code is always going to
outperformance a generic rule engine - if you arrange all your caching
and indexing right. So I'm not sure what it is you are trying to prove?
If you wanted to prove that drools was faster than dump iteration and
lookup, try something that exploits the indexing. Create 10K people and
200 places. Assign the people randomly to different places - use a
String keyword to match the two. Then use the rule engine to find all
the people matching all the places and then try the same in java code.

Mark