[rules-dev] documentation

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 05:03:18 EDT 2008

I am kinda favor in one big Drools "reference manual" (this is the term
coined by hibernate, spring and seam)
It follows the structure you just outlined:
- part expert
- chapter 1 expert-intro
- chapter 2 expert-foo
- part flow
- chapter 3 flow-intro
- chapter 4 flow-bar
- ...

The advantage of this that you can choose to view it as single_html and
use ctrl-F in firefox to find what you're looking for.

The hibernate guys decided to separate the classic, annotations and
entitymanager:
as a user I 've found this annoying, because I often find myself having
to ctrl-F on all single_html's before I find a solution (or I realize
it's not in the manuals).

For example: I consulted the manual for
"Does hibernate support a way to prefix all @Table names with "foo_"?"
So I started in annotations, because of the @Table: nothing there.
Next I looked in entitymanager, because it's general configuration:
nothing there.
So hibernate doesn't support it.
A few hours later I decided to check the hibernate classic manual too -
just in case - and I came across NamingStrategy, which does exactly what
I want...

This one big book doesn't include the JBRMS "end user" manual of course,
that's a different audience.

just my 2 cents :)