[rules-dev] Miss Manners

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Mar 27 14:06:35 EDT 2009

I was wondering if anyone fancied having a go at improving Miss Manners
to make it harder and less easy to cheat. The problem with manners at
the moment is that it computes a large cross product, of which only one
rule fires and the other activations are cancelled. What many engines do
now is abuse the test by not calculating the full cross product and thus
not doing all the work.

Mannsers is explained here:
https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html/ch09.html#d0e7455

So I was thinking that first the amounts of data needs to be increased
from say 128 guests to  512 guests. Then the problem needs to be made
harder, and the full conflict set needs to be forced to be evalated. So
maybe the first assign_seating rule is as normal where it just finds M/F
pairs with same hobbies, but additionally we should have a scoring
process so that those matched in the first phase then each must have
some compatability score calculated against them and then the one with
the best score is picked. Maybe people have other ways to improve the
complexity of the test, both in adding more rules and more complex rules
and more data.