[rules-dev] drools mailing list webpage: mention gmane newsgroups too

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:45:33 EST 2009

great - I totally agree. Email is not for everyone. I tend to check
lists "offline" on my phone, well some lists (like this) so I like
lists. But for larger groups of people, forums are probably better.

Eg if you want help with your PS3, you will end up on a forum, not a
mailing list.

Perhaps, in time - the drools-user list will end up more as a forum,
but I see the dev list probably staying as a mailing list with
nabble/gmane forum-like access.

Other projects I have noted have the split: developers of the project
work on the mailing list, but users are on a forum.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org> wrote:
> Geoffrey De Smet wrote:
>
> Ok, nabble works and looks easier to use.
>
> So I propose we add a column "post question through website" and add
> these entry's:
>    http://old.nabble.com/drools---user-f11823.html
>    http://old.nabble.com/drools---dev-f11824.html
>

> ok, I'll add that later today.
>
> mark
>
> With kind regards,
> Geoffrey De Smet
>

> Geoffrey De Smet schreef:
>

> Mark Proctor schreef:
>

> Michael Neale wrote:
>

> What is the experience like if people want to post to the lists from
> gmane etc? Does it actually work?
>

> Yes, because every single one of my post to the mailing list (including
> this one) in the last 3 years are actually newsgroup posts to
> gmane.comp.java.drools.devel or gmane.comp.java.drools.user.
>

> gmane makes you verify the email from your own email box, so a bit of a
> pain.
>

> Actually, that's only your first post (per newsgroup). So when I just
> start using project A (xstream) and want to post to the mailing list of
> A (gmane.comp.java.xstream.user), I only have to verify my first post.
>

> In any case, John Doe doesn't like littering his mailbox by subscribing
> to a mailing list, so pointing him to something like gmane or nabble
> will stop him from contacting developers directly (and lose the benefit
> of the community).
> Maybe nabble is better though:
>    http://old.nabble.com/drools---user-f11823.html
> Gonna try posting from there to this list.
>
> With kind regards,
> Geoffrey De Smet

Michael D Neale
home: www.michaelneale.net