[rules-dev] backward chaining

Christine Karman mylists at christine.nl
Mon Nov 1 06:44:34 EDT 2010

On 11/01/2010 10:39 AM, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
> Mostly out of curiosity:
> I have implemented a few things using full-blown backward chaining and
> I know that these things could have been implemented just as well using
> forward chaining. Therefore: Why does your project "need" bw chaining?

A forward chaining engine finds all premisses and then draws all
conclusions it can make, recursively. A backward chaining engine finds
all goals, then tries to satisfy them using available facts. If no facts
remain and no goal has been satisfied, the system should ask a user. A
forward chaining engine would never find unsatisfied goals, so it would
never try to acquire additional information, unless you specifically
program it to do so. Basically, by doing that you build in a backward
chaining component.

I have built quite a few expert systems that used both backward chaining
and forward chaining. Either one wouldn't have done the job.

dagdag
Christine