[rules-dev] Guvnor build changes summary

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:20:48 EDT 2010

The eclipse GWT plugin doesn't use maven.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Geoffrey De Smet

Op 14-10-10 12:05, Anstis, Michael (M.) schreef:
> Hi Geoffrey, Esteban,
> The Eclipse GWT Plugin in essence calls out to GWT's
> com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode and does not use maven.

Yes, AFAIC it doesn't use maven.

> I think half the problem could be the disjoint between the default paths
> used by maven compared to the default paths used by gwt i.e. they are
> different: mvn uses src/main/webapp by default whereas gwt prefers /war.

The latest gwt plugin for eclipse (since 2.0.3) isn't hardcoded to the
/war directory, so the /war issues is not longer relevant normally.
See the note on
http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin/user-guide/war-folder.html
So don't use an old gwt plugin for eclipse.
Toni Rikkola is working fine with eclipse, maybe you can ask him how he
said it up?

> It looks like you can bring the two inline
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin/user-guide/war-folder.html but
> I haven't tried it. A warning to this effect is in the log you show
> "Your POM <build><outputdirectory> does not match your hosted webapp
> WEB-INF/classes folder for GWT Hosted browser to see your classes." I
> think the classes are JIT'ed so you won't get any errors until launching
> your browser. I also think the "target" folder
> ("/home/esteban/plugTree/trunkTMP/drools-guvnor/*target*/drools-guvnor")
> is a GWT1.6 hang-over and wonder whether Guvnor is fully GWT2.x or a
> hybrid of bits and pieces that wouldn't help matters.

There is the sources wierdness. Basically gwt needs the *.java sources
of all the java to javascript it needs to compile, not just the *.class
sources. So to be able to compile drools-guvnor it needs the sources of
drools-ide-common.
- If you have drools open in IntelliJ/Eclipse, this isn't a problem: the
sources are there anyway and you don't need to configure anything
special. Note you can't have just drools-guvnor open without
drools-ide-common open... I would expect this to be the same for netbeans
- In Maven, things are different because modules need to be able to
compile individually. There are 2 ways to handle it:
-- the GWT hack way: just add the sources to the jar. This is the bad
way as it violates the maven repository contract.
-- the maven way (which we follow): also install/deploy the sources into
the repository as a separate jar (so as a
drools-idea-common-...-sources.jar) and re-use that to build
drools-guvnor (and note that the maven intellij/eclipse reuse those
sources to automatically download sources etc).

> Not wanting to tread on toes.
idem dito :) Hope this helps too