[rules-dev] Drools syntax diagrams - redrawn

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Wed Sep 22 09:02:19 EDT 2010

  On 22/09/2010 13:37, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
> I've found this online service and stuffed the Drools grammar into it.
>
> You may see the results while they are still there:
> http://www-cgi.uni-regensburg.de/~brf09510/syntax.tmp/x45371x0x0x.ebnf.html
> <http://www-cgi.uni-regensburg.de/%7Ebrf09510/syntax.tmp/x45371x0x0x.ebnf.html>
I found one of the problems with generated rail road diagrams is that
they are often too low level, making it hard for them to be useful. They
often splits things up into too small a pieces, as they are a literal
translation of the grammar and not a logical representation for end
users.  That said it, it's probably better to have well maintained
generated versinos, than out of date hand created ones. Just a shame
there isn't a tool that allows for easy hand editing of rail raod diagrams.

I think part of the problem is caused by the lack of consistency in our
grammar for exressions - evals, return values etc. Edson is working on
that so we have a generic and clean grammar for expressions, this should
add more regularity to our grammar.

Mark