[rules-dev] else

Swindells, Thomas TSwindells at nds.com
Fri Aug 19 08:25:48 EDT 2011

I’m also struggling to read and understand the original syntax and I don’t think the rest of my team would realise what was happening if I wrote something like that.

Some form of nested rules with a when … then when … else when …then … else … then … end type syntax will be much easier for people to understand what is happening without having to understand much of the syntax. Some form of nesting will be needed to identify the scoping of matches.

The other alternative is to add the concept of a named condition
condition “ABC”  when a : A() … end

rules would be able to reference conditions and access the bindings defined within there scope, this would allow you to write
rule “A”
when
                condition “ABC”
then
                print a; //a is bound in the condition
end

and for the else
rule “not A”
when
                not condition “ABC”
and

multiple conditions could be used allowing the equivalent functionality of many else when combinations but with easier to read rules.

Thomas