[rules-dev] JBRULES-2932: suspicious syntax might be the cause?

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:43:01 EDT 2011

   Laird,

   As Wolfgang mentioned, that is valid syntax (I had no idea about COBOL
though... ehehe).

   Anyway, as you know by now, 5.2 is under heavy changes in the parser and
compiler sides. The particular problem you mentioned was fixed yesterday, so
no need to open a JIRA. Feel free to test against the latest HEAD if you
can.

   Stay with us during this painful transition because when all is said and
done, I believe users will be happy with the new language. At the core of
the changes is the requirement to have constraints defined as: <field>
<operator> <value>. This is gone in 5.2. Now you can write constraints as
any valid boolean expression, no funky business necessary. Before, we did
not support method calls in expressions, because the () caused
ambiguities... not an issue anymore. Before you had to wrap expression in
evals, and value expressions in ()... not anymore... so, stay tuned... there
is light at the end of the tunnel... :)

   Drools compiler is now running all tests green as of last night (although
we still have some ignored tests to check) and today I am trying to make
sure all tests in all core modules run fine.

   Edson

2011/3/25 Laird Nelson <ljnelson at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This is correct syntax, although the parens are redundant in this
>> particular situation.
>>
>> Technically, this is called a "multi-restriction". Expand it by inserting
>> the field (answer.ID) in front of each relational operator. It's inherited
>> from COBOL :-)
>>

> OK, so then this issue is a valid bug?  Thanks for your help.

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development
  JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com