[rules-dev] Formal verification of Drools - master's thesis

Jiri Svitak jsvitak at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 11:13:31 EDT 2011

Hello,

I work for Redhat as BRMS QE and I have to choose topic for my master's
(diploma) thesis. It would be convenient for me to combine my job and
the school thesis. I would like to know your opinions to following ideas:

1. Static analysis of Drools code with Findbugs. I have already talked
with Geoffrey and he said that you use Findbugs, but only for common
Findbugs scenarios. The thesis would then cover user defined bug
patterns for common bugs based on bug reports or your experience.

2. Model checking of Drools with JavaPathFinder. Model checking verifies
property of system by exploring state space of the system. The property
is described by CTL or LTL logic (general example: given a concurrent
program, we ask whether it is deadlock-free)

3. Different topic.

I would like to know your opinions and views if you would find that
useful. If you have some tips on features to verify, on common bugs
which could be found by these methods.  Also if you'll be willing to
answer some questions about Drools source code if needed.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Jiri Svitak