[rules-dev] English as a 2nd Language

James Owen jco at kbsc.com
Wed Jul 4 13:33:05 EDT 2012

Greegings:

Here I am returning to Drools list again as an interloper.  I think
perhaps that we should all revisit "My Fair Lady" [based on
"Pygmalion"] and the very first so-called song, "Why Can't the English
Teach Their Children How to Speak?" as spoken-sung by Rex Harrison
(the Professor Dolittle character).  You see, even the English
themselves very rarely know the proper English constructs of their own
language, especially when spoken, and even when written they seem to
leave dangling prepositions and intransitive verbs, such as "to" or
"from", at the end of a sentence.  It virtually makes ones skin crawl
at times.

Here in the colonies even the national news casters make the most
appaling mistakes.  It's no wonder that the children in either country
can make themselves understood these days without making a mistake in
a single spoken sentence.  Here in the Southern and Texan climes,
"can't" often rhymes with paint and ain't, "get" rhymes with hit and,
most dredfull of all, we most often hear, "Where are you going to?"
quite often.  The other phrase in the South is, "What are you fixing
to do?" meaning, "What you about to do?"  Only in the South...

So, even though you find many mistakes in the English language in
Drools code and documentation, bear with it.  It is NOT as bad as it
appears and, if you can understand the overall meaning and if the
general intent is clear, leave it alone and let it ride.  Correct it
only if the meaning is not clearly understood or if the meaning is
muddled and not clear to the ordinary mortal, such as the beginner or
the intermediate programmer.

--
SDG
jco