[rules-dev] What You Should Know about Class Loaders

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Apr 16 17:23:43 EDT 2013

Some things cause other problems:
"Class.forName is Evil - Class.forName will pin classes in memory forever (almost, but long enough to cause problems). If you're forced to do dynamic class loading use ClassLoader.loadClass instead. All variations of the Class.forName suffer from the same problem. See BJ Hargrave's blog about this."

There is a bug in JDK which means that serialisation will not work with String[] when using loadClass, and Class.forName must be used:
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6434149

We hit this, and had to move all our stuff to Class.forName.

Mark