[rules-users] Drools - is dynamic change possible ?

Geoffrey Wiseman geoffrey.wiseman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 08:45:53 EDT 2007

On 8/16/07, pns77 <pnsrapuram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, is it possible to change the logic dynamically at runtime ? Or is the
> drl file used only to externalize the business logic? I tried changing the
> message in drl file and it didnt get reflected

Unless things have changed radically since the last version I spent any real
time with, this would depend almost entirely on the code you wrote; the
process of selecting a set of rules to run and how you cache it is usually
within your control.  Now, I don't know how things have changed with the
introduction of the BRMS and 4.0, but "when I was a boy", you explicitly
loaded your rules into a ruleset, and then, usually, for performance
reasons, would hang on to that ruleset.  In so doing, you cache the rules
that you loaded.  If you want to periodically check the  filesystem for an
update and decide if and when to invalidate your cached ruleset, that's
entirely your decision to make.

Someone else can let you know how applicable what I just said is to 4.0.  ;)

   - Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Wiseman