[rules-users] Data Driven Object Models and BRMS validation

Knapp, Barry barry.knapp at railinc.com
Fri Aug 24 10:57:08 EDT 2007

Question:

What is the best way to customize the validation in the BRMS?  Is there
a callout method that exists in JBoss Rules already to override the
current validator with a custom validator?

Reason:

I have a data driven object models and my users create rules in decision
tables.

I will have a decision table column header such as

 <Attribute> equals <value>

and the user will enter a value in the cell for the 3 parameters

DRIVER, age, 23

The java mapping for the condition column would be like:

eval($1.isHashmapValueEqual("$2", "$3"))

After parsing the decision table, the DRL would look like this

DRIVER.isHashmapValueEqual("age", "23");

In this scenario, I do not have a DRIVER class until the rule is parsed
and I create a proxy DRIVER class to use for rules execution.  This
proxy class generation is performed on the execution side on application
startup and not on the management side.  The management side never has a
DRIVER to validate the rule against.

Barry Knapp

Barry.Knapp at RailInc.com <mailto:Barry.Knapp at RailInc.com>

919.651.5039

MSN Messenger barry25 at hotmail.com <mailto:barry25 at hotmail.com>