[rules-users] JBossRules 4.0.3 : recreating RuleBase instance with addPackage() from serialized rules file (10MB - 2500 rules) takes ages!

Davy Toch Davy.Toch at belgacom.net
Fri Dec 21 11:57:57 EST 2007

We're currently using JBoss Drools 4.0.3. We have a set of rules that is
serialized to a file of about 10MB (about 2500 rules). When
deserializing it, the addPackage() call takes about 2.5 minutes!

Our code looks as follows:

   InputStream is = Test.class.getResourceAsStream("/Test.rules.binary");
   ObjectInputStream ois = new ObjectInputStream(is);
   Package pkg = new Package();
   pkg.readExternal(ois);
   RuleBase ruleBase = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();
   ruleBase.addPackage(pkg); // this takes 2.5 minutes !

Is this normal? Also, is there some documentation describing the
expected performance of JBoss rules compilation and (de)serialization
(and perhaps some tips on how to improve the performance)?

Best regards,
Davy Toch