[rules-users] Will the alternative lead to a better performance?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri Mar 23 14:24:38 EDT 2007

   Stephen,

   As long as you use an "==" constraint as your example shows, the
first alternative will be more performatic. This is because drools
indexes facts based on your constraints. So, your first case will
require a single "==" comparison to find user name "A" and a single
comparison to find user name "B". Of course, if you have huge amound of
objects where hashcode for name start to clash, you may have more than
one comparison, but the effect is negligible when compared to all other
costs of having that many facts.

   Second alternative works and will also hash object types, but it will
create a lot more infrastructure classes and Rete Nodes to deal with
your 500 different classes. So it is a worst alternative for the
proposed scenario.

   []s
   Edson