[rules-users] From v 3.0.6 to 4.0.0

Chris Woodrow woodrow.chris at gmail.com
Tue May 15 06:42:34 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,
I am new to this mailing list, I've had a quick look at archives and didn't
find anything ont this subject but sorry if this has allready been
underlined.

Here is my problem, while I was doing some test on v3.0.6, 4.0.0 came out,
so I started to migrate on the new version. Then I found out an unexpecteed
behavior on the 4.0.0.

I have been compiling both with Java 5 and running whith Java 1.5.0_11. And
I used versions with dependencies on both tests.

I have made an exemple for you to make it as clear as possible, here is the
rule :

package rules

rule "TwoCheeses"
    when
        $cheese1 : Cheese();
        $cheese2 : Cheese();
    then
        System.out.println($cheese1);
        System.out.println($cheese2);
        System.out.println("TwoCheeses");

When I run it on V3.0.6, with this code :

package rules;

import java.io.InputStreamReader;

import org.drools.RuleBase;
import org.drools.RuleBaseFactory;
import org.drools.WorkingMemory;
import org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder;

public class Cheese {
        PackageBuilder builder = new PackageBuilder();
        builder.addPackageFromDrl(new InputStreamReader(
Cheese.class.getResourceAsStream("rule.drl")));

        RuleBase ruleBase = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();

        ruleBase.addPackage(builder.getPackage());

        WorkingMemory workingMemory = ruleBase.newWorkingMemory();

        Cheese cheese = new Cheese();

        workingMemory.assertObject(cheese);

        workingMemory.fireAllRules();
    }
}

The rule doesn't fire, which is normal AMHA since only one Cheese object is
asserted to the WM

When I run it on V4.0.0, whith this code :
package rules;

import java.io.InputStreamReader;

import org.drools.RuleBase;
import org.drools.RuleBaseFactory;
import org.drools.StatefulSession;
import org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder;

public class Cheese {
        PackageBuilder builder = new PackageBuilder();
        builder.addPackageFromDrl(new InputStreamReader(
Cheese.class.getResourceAsStream("rule.drl")));

        RuleBase ruleBase = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();

        ruleBase.addPackage(builder.getPackage());

        StatefulSession statefulSession = ruleBase.newStatefulSession();

        Cheese cheese = new Cheese();

        statefulSession.assertObject(cheese);

        statefulSession.fireAllRules();
    }
}
Now the rule fires and $cheese1 $cheese2 have the same reference.

I have been searching in all docs, this modification of behavior doesn't
seem to be expected, has anyone noticed this?

Thanks for your help.

Chris