[rules-users] "Or" and Collect

Dirk Bergstrom dirk at juniper.net
Tue May 29 18:49:58 EDT 2007

In my ongoing efforts to abuse Drools syntax, I would like to write rules like this:

rule "severe bugs for which a member of your group is dev or support owner"
when
 $group : UserGroup( )
 $badBugs : List() from
 collect( Bug( (devOwner memberOf $group or supportOwner memberOf $group),
  severity == "hair-on-fire" )
then
 $group.runAroundInStarkRavingPanicOver($badBugs)
end

Will that work?  Is that the right syntax?  Will it be performant if I've got
10000 Bugs and 1000 UserGroups?

According to Mark's "What's New in JBoss Rules 4.0" presentation, you can use &&
and || without subrule generation, and I have a vague memory of seeing something
about "and" & "or" as well, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Thanks.

Dirk Bergstrom               dirk at juniper.net