[rules-users] Need Help on using rules in Multiple Threads

Anstis, Michael (M.) manstis1 at ford.com
Thu May 31 06:25:44 EDT 2007

I assume (from "...each thread will execute the rules...") your threads
have their own workingmemory and once you've loaded the 500 records you
call fireAllRules()?

If this is the case then the activations should be correct for the
subset of records asserted but this could differ to the results you
expected; for example:-

Rule 1
    when
        ObjectA()
        ObjectB()
    Then
        System.out.println("Rule 1 activated");
    end

All records
Record 1: ObjectA()
Record 2: ObjectA()
Record 3: ObjectB()
Record 4: ObjectB()

Subset 1 (records 1 - 2)
Record 1: ObjectA()
Record 2: ObjectA()

Subset 2 (records 3 - 4)
Record 3: ObjectB()
Record 4: ObjectB()

If you have two threads asserting each subset to their own WM and firing
all rules; "Rule 1" will never be activated.

If you have two threads asserting each subset to a shared WM and fire
all rules; "Rule 1" will be activated.

With kind regards,

Mike