[rules-users] Re: Drools and BRMS (60,000+ rules)

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 23:24:23 EST 2007

Hi Len.

Yes the main challenges I see are to do with the sheer numbers of rules you
see yourself happening, and how to manage that in any sort of BRMS. ie are
there 100's of packages, or a few uber packages etc. How do you break it up
so its manageable? etc... even simple things, like if there is a drop down
with rule names - that doesnt' scale to well to that number of rules (in a
single package). We have categories which allow you to break down views into
rules etc.

The other side of the coin is compile time taken and memory used. Good to
see you have done some profiling of it (I saw you PDF) - I haven't had a
chance to load up your project yet but I did do some of my own profiling.
Since 4.0.3 the impact of deserialization and rule packages has been partly
addressed.

I am worried that one rule change would require a 5 minute rebuild of an
entire package (is 5 minutes too long? I really don't know how much your
rules will change etc). On the BRMS server, we need to have some background
resource management where we control how many builds/tests are going on so
that we dont' starve the BRMS as resources (so in that sense it becomes a
bit like a CI server, where it detects changes and then builds int he
background).

Regarding your profiling so far - nothing seems that surprising - were there
any areas that you think needed particular attention?

Michael.

Michael D Neale
home: www.michaelneale.net
blog: michaelneale.blogspot.com