[rules-users] PermGen OOM and shadow proxies

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Oct 8 12:18:06 EDT 2007

s erel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've posted before regarding this issue.
> We currently evaluating drools 4.01 for our project. We've noticed
> that the perm gen space grows at a rapid rate and that eventually results
> in a OOM. When shadow facts are disabled, the problem seems to go away
> (or at least not as noticeable as before).
>
> Any ideas?
> What is the effect of a shadowed object which itself contains complex
> objects that are also involved in a pattern (through inline eval)?
when the system encounters a new Class, and shadow is enabled, it
generates a proxy to that class - however this is a one time operation.
The only way that shadow proxies would continue to be created would be
if you where continually creating or loading new classes or
redefinitions of the old classes.