[rules-users] result of the Drools Puzzle #2 is out, congratulations to Scott Reed and thanks to Dr. Starke

Ellen Zhao enzhao at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:48:05 EDT 2007

Hi all,

thanks to Dr. Starke's evaluation, the result of the Drools Puzzle #2
is out. Congratulations to the winner Scott Reed, it's your turn to
post the puzzle for round 3. We will publish the evaluation text very
soon.

Here I'd like to comment on some issues that were mentioned in the evaluation.

1. I will post all the solutions for round 2 to a file server very
soon. The link to the solutions will be published in a Drools blog.

2. I'm going to build a history database for participators. For now
I'm kind of busy finishing up my thesis, but from November on, the
detailed score statistics can be managed better.

3. The scoring system in round 1 was learnt from civfanatics.net (it
is a fan site for the computer game civilization serials.). An example
can be seen here:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/results/index.php?month=40021&game=40021
Their scoring system has been developed for years and proven
effective. I hope our scoring system can also have a relatively stable
criteria base. Because a participator's yearly score is accumulated, I
hope the score distribution in each round can be reasonably even
(Would not like to see round x has a total score of 50 but round y has
a total score of 150). We can discuss more about the criteria in the
future.

4. Dr. Starke did not manage to evaluate some solutions due to limited
internet accessability during his evaluation(so that he was not able
to download older version of Drools or the Drools Solver framework).
But personally I hope the people who submitted the unevaluated
solutions are not discouraged for future rounds. Mark said the Drools
parser for CLIPS files will get finished. And I hope if next evaluator
can download the additional packages like Drools solver, the Drools
Solver solution can be evaluated.

5. I'm sorry for not having done enough work on the standardization of
the evaluation. The Drools Puzzle contest is still in its early stage
and I hope with the support from the community, it can mature quickly.

6. If any future paticipator needs a file server for submitting the
solution please let me know, I'll give you an FTP account on my file
server.

So much for now and I have to write a bit more text for my thesis
before I go to bed. I will post new blog entry for the result tomorrow
or the day after tomorrow. Thanks again to Dr. Starke for his work.

Regards,
Ellen