[rules-users] Still can't create a standalone application

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Thu Sep 6 08:14:19 EDT 2007

MarkA wrote:
> Okay, many thanks for this.
>
> Firstly, I apologise if I am asking these questions in the wrong place, I
> don't want to waste people's time but it is *very* frustrating for new users
> when problems like this occur. I scoured the documentation, the quick-start
> guide, the faqs and searched on the internet but could find no help. From
> some of the responses I have received from the various sources it seems that
> I am not the only person hitting these issues.
>
> Secondly, it looks like my error is that I set the CLASSPATH to point at the
> directories, .../JAR and .../JAR/lib, not each individual .jar file as in
> your batch file. I had tried it with just the small set of .jars that you
> have and, as far as I can tell, the only difference is using the directories
> in the CLASSPATH variable. I'll change that in mine and see what happens but
> I can compile and run the example you sent which is fantastic.

This is standard Java, I don't think this is something we should be
explaining, as it's done in hundreds of places around the net.
> Many thanks again and sorry for being stupid.

np, stupid Qs are allowed (we get lots of them), but you have to expect
a bit ot stick with them - call it character building ;) Good luck.

> Mark Proctor wrote:
>
>> sigh.... I've zipped up droools-examples eclipse project with a
>> populated lib directory and a dos .bat file. Should be enough to get you
>> over the basics of java classpath configuration:
>> http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/PageInfo.jsp?page=JBossRules%2Fdrools-examples-401-runfib.zip
>>
>> Mark
>> MarkA wrote:
>>
>>> I'm close to giving up!
>>>
>>> No matter what I do I get the noclassdeffound error. I can't get anything
>>> that uses Drools to work outside of eclipse.
>>> I've now tried using javac and I still get errors, the first is:
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> [javac] [search path for source files:
>>> [/Users/mark/Documents/eclipse/drools-test-mini/src]]
>>> [javac] [search path for class files: [... (lots of paths removed) ...
>>> /Users/mark/Documents/eclipse/drools-test-mini/JAR
>>> ...]]
>>> [javac]
>>> /Users/mark/Documents/eclipse/drools-test-mini/src/com/mda/dt/DroolsTest.java:6:
>>> package org.drools does not exist
>>> [javac] import org.drools.RuleBase;
>>> [javac]                   ^

>>> But the directory '/Users/mark/Documents/eclipse/drools-test-mini/JAR'
>>> has
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> antlr-runtime-3.0.jar           drools-compiler-4.0.1.jar
>>> mvel14-1.2rc4rv908.jar          xpp3_min-1.1.3.4.O.jar
>>> core-3.2.3.v_686_R32x.jar       drools-core-4.0.1.jar
>>> xercesImpl-2.4.0.jar            xstream-1.2.2.jar
>>> drools-ant-4.0.1.jar            jxl-2.4.2.jar