[rules-users] Using Data Enumerations in BRMS 4.0.1 with DSLs

Shahad Ahmed shahad.ahmed2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:21:53 EDT 2007

Does anyone know if the new data enumeration functionality in the BRMS
version 4.0.1 works with DSL sentences?

I have a Customer object that has a String attribute called value that can
be be one of the values "High", "Medium" and "Low". I've defined a data
enumeration for this as follows in the BRMS:

'Customer.value': ['High','Medium','Low']

This works fine using the guided editor and I see a drop down list
containing ['High','Medium','Low'] whenever I create a rule involving a
Customer value attribute. I then created a DSL which has the following
definitions in it:

[condition][]There is a Customer=c: Customer()
[condition][]- who is {value} value=value == "{value}"

I then created a guided rule that has the following when condition, where [
] represents the text box the guided editor creates to enter a value for the
{value} placeholder:

There is a Customer
- who is [ ] value

However, I had hoped that the data enumeration stuff would have worked out
that {value} represents a Customer.value attribute and consequently provided
a drop down list of values. So, I'm not sure if this is a bug, or this is
just not implemented and a possible JIRA enhancement request.

Thanks,
Shahad