[rules-users] ruleflow trouble when process a large number of records

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Tue Apr 29 17:20:28 EDT 2008

There should be no tweaking to get it working correctly (ruleflows don't
even use separate threads during execution currently).  Based on your
explanation however, it is not obvious why things might be going wrong.  I
suggest trying to use the audit view or a custom logger to figure out what
is going on in both cases.  If you are losing records, there must be some
reason why the rules are not being executed for those records (e.g. the
record does not match the conditions of the rule, the ruleflow-group is
deactivated before all records have been processed, etc.).  Try making a
small use case where you enter a number of records and not all records seem
to be processed.  Then try looking at the audit log to see which rules are
activated and deactivated, which ruleflow-groups are activated and
deactivated, etc.  If you do find a problem where you thing the ruleflow is
not behaving as expected, it would be nice if you could send me a
self-countained example that shows the problem and I'll try to look into it
asap.

One additional piece of advice: it does seem a little strange however that
you are using 50 ruleflow-groups for 116 rules.  Ruleflow-groups are used to
specify the order in which large rule sets should be executed.  If you want
to specify the order for single rules, other features like salience, agenda
groups, etc. might also be useful.  But nevertheless, ruleflows should even
work in these circumstances.

Kris