[rules-users] Fetching values of an object's attribute set by different rules

psentosa psentosa at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 05:03:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have the following problems:
I need to prove an object based on certain rules, where the parts of the
rules should be kept to be used in further process within my application.
In order to fetch those parts, my idea was to insert an additional object as
value holder for the rule's parts,
put values on them when the corresponding rule is fired, so that later on I
can process those value holder after my appl gets the control back from
Ruleengine.

The example below:

Shirt shirt = new Shirt(...)
WashRuleValueHolder holder = new WashRuleValueHolder();

session.insert(shirt);
session.insert(holder);

session.dispose()

System.out.println(holder.getTemperature());
System.out.println(holder.getDetergent());
=======================

rule A
when
      Shirt (dirtinessLevel == high)
      $holder : WashRuleValueHolder()
then
      System.out.println ("this cloth should be washed in 60 degree water
with 1 spoon of detergent")
     $holder.temperature = 60;
     $holder.detergent = 1;

rule B
when
     Shirt(material == satin)
     $holder : WashRuleValueHolder()
then
       System.out.println ("this cloth should be washed in 30 degree water
with 0,5 spoon of detergent")
     $holder.temperature = 30;
     $holder.detergent = 0,5;

Now, in case both rules evaluate to true, I'd have problem with my
valueholder, bcs depending on which one of the rules was fired latest,
that'd be the value I got from the holder, and I need both of them.
So, my questions:

- Is using such a value holder a good solution to fetch the rules' value? Or
is there any better solution?
- How to handle this problem of multiple value association to the holder, so
I still can get all the values without one overwriting the other and they
are still connected?

Any idea highly appreciated, thanks in advance!