[rules-users] CEP functionality

David Boaz davidb at dbmotion.com
Tue Aug 19 01:36:58 EDT 2008

Dear all,

We posted this question two weeks ago, but with no replies. please forgive
me for posting it again.

In our business, most of the facts have time-stamp attributes. For example,
each laboratory test (a fact) has the time stamp when the sample was taken,
and when the machine produced the result value. In our business-logic, we
often analyze the relation between facts using these attributes.

For example:
1) finding two adjacent labResults with an increasing value
2) checking whether 3 facts are consecutive
3) counting the number of facts fulfilling a specific constraint within a
specific time window.

We were happy to read (in the blog) about the new CEP feature which is about
to be added to drools 5.0.

* Where can we find a more detailed description of CEP functionality in
drools?
* Is it a good idea to use CEP for analyzing historic data (retrieved from
the database)? or is it best for online data.
* Can we use CEP in a stateless session?
* As we understand, CEP attaches to each fact a temporal attribute of the
assertion time. Can we define that a particular attribute (e.g.,
LabResult.samplingDate) will be used as the time stamp? Or, should we assert
the facts by their temporal order, and advance the session-clock
appropriately?
* Can we use CEP to analyze the data in the examples above?

Many thanks for the help, David