[rules-users] some basic questions to grouping

psentosa psentosa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 07:03:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty to understand the concept of grouping, but maybe
it's only because of my understanding of the terms, so please apologize for
the silly question
1. when you are saying "rules fire", does this mean: matching/checking the
LHS of rule, or executing the RHS of rule

2. I plan to use the grouping features of drools, but still not sure
whether(and how) to use the agenda or activation group (or even the
rule-flow). My problem domain is actually quite simple:
- rules are applied based on e.g age of a person. Now, there are some rules
for 17-year-or older, and some for 30-year-old person, if I'm to use the
agenda group, I'd define the following:

rule1
agenda-group "17 years-old or older"
when
     p:Person (Age > 17)

rule2
agenda-group "17 years-old or older"
when
     p:Person (Age > 17)

rule3
agenda-group "30 years-old or older"
when
     p:Person (Age > 30)

rule4
agenda-group "30 years-old or older"
when
     p:Person (Age > 30)

If I assert a person into the WM to check his/her age, I want that only the
rules in 30-years-old agenda are CHECKED (and eventually executed when the
other constraints are fulfilled), bcs they are surely older than 17 as well.
And this is not only for comparing ages. Another example, some rules are
only for Gender.MALE, and some only for Gender.FEMALE. So if a person is
asserted, only the rules with corresponding gender will be checked and no
need of checking/matching the other group
The main purpose is just to skip checking unrelevant rules (imagine if there
is only 1 rule for MALE and 1000 rules for FEMALE with 1000 times WHEN
person (gender == FEMALE) checking for an asserted male-object).
How can I do this effectively? Or will ALL rules checked and only the order
of checking (and eventually exection of their RHS) is defined by the
grouping?

I hope I've described my problem clearly and I'll try to explain this again
in case of difficulty :)
Thanks in advance

Regards