[rules-users] Should I use drools for this application ?

Harsh Jetly harsh.jetly at lntinfotech.com
Wed Aug 6 07:49:17 EDT 2008

Hi ,

I am using Drools version 4.0.4

I have an application which fetches data from a database.
Each row from the db is stored in a domain object and these objects are
inserted into arraylists depending on a specific id.
Then I insert the arraylist into the rule engine , the output required is
the selection of one object from the arraylist and putting it into a global
arraylist.

I have tested this application with about 2500 rows . It takes 7 secs .

Also I have tested this application without using a rule engine , I wrote
business logic in my code . It took me 5 seconds .

One point that I need to be clarified is can we except performance
improvement by using drools ?

Can I derive a conclusion from this excerise , that this application is not
to be used with drools or is there something that I am doing wrong .

Also is there some document which can tell me where and when to exactly use
drools ?

Thanks a ton

Harsh Jetlyharsh.jetly at lntinfotech.com