[rules-users] Calling EntityManager from DRL--DRL Parser attempts to parse sql query instead of passing as string to createNativeQuery method

Wilson O Ojwang wojwang at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jul 7 10:45:39 EDT 2008

David,

Here is what I did to make this work.

This example assume that you have a Person POJO and you want to query
all persons with the age lest than or equal to 20.

public class DroolsTest {

    public static final void main(String[] args) {
        try {

            //load up the rulebase
            RuleBase ruleBase = readRule();
            WorkingMemory workingMemory = ruleBase.newStatefulSession();

         // Start EntityManagerFactory
            EntityManagerFactory emf =
                    Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("persons");

            // Second unit of work
            EntityManager newEm = emf.createEntityManager();
            EntityTransaction newTx = newEm.getTransaction();
            newTx.begin();

            workingMemory.setGlobal("entity",newEm);
            ArrayList<Person> presult = new ArrayList<Person>();
            workingMemory.setGlobal("presult",presult);
            workingMemory.fireAllRules();

            System.out.println("=============List Results=============");
            for ( Person p : presult ){
                 System.out.println("Person: \"" + p.getFirstName() +
                         "\", " + p.getLastName() +
                                     "\", " + p.getAge());
            }
            System.out.println("=============End List
Results=====\n\n");
            newTx.commit();
            newEm.close();
         // Shutting down the application
            emf.close();

        } catch (Throwable t) {
            t.printStackTrace();
        }
    }
   /**
     * Please note that this is the "low level" rule assembly API.
     */
    private static RuleBase readRule() throws Exception {
        //read in the source
        Reader source = new InputStreamReader(
DroolsTest.class.getResourceAsStream( "/Sample.drl" ) );
        PackageBuilder builder = new PackageBuilder();
        builder.addPackageFromDrl( source );

        //get the compiled package (which is serializable)
        Package pkg = builder.getPackage();

        //add the package to a rulebase (deploy the rule package).
        RuleBase ruleBase = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();
        ruleBase.addPackage( pkg );
        return ruleBase;
    }
}

==============
Here is the rule sample.drl

package com.sample

import com.sample.DroolsTest.Message;
import com.sample.Person;
import javax.persistence.EntityManager;
global javax.persistence.EntityManager entity;
global java.util.ArrayList presult;

rule "age"
    when
        $p: Person() from entity.createQuery("from Person p where p.age
<= 20").getResultList();
    then
        presult.add($p);
end