[rules-users] Compilation error: "Syntax error, insert "; " to complete BlockStatements "

Kris Nuttycombe kris.nuttycombe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:59:58 EDT 2008

Hi, all,

I'm new to Drools, and am a bit confused by the compilation error that
I'm getting. From the line number, it appears to be in a generated
Java file instead of in my rules file, so I'm having a hard time
debugging the issue. Here is the full error:

Rule Compilation error : [Rule name=Assert Total Accumulator for
Order, agendaGroup=init, salience=0, no-loop=false]
  com/gaiam/gcsi/rules/Rule_Assert_Total_Accumulator_for_Order_0.java
(7:429) : Syntax error, insert ";" to complete BlockStatements

Here is the rule that's being referred to:

rule "Add charge amounts to total."
    agenda-group "calc_total"
when
    $total : Total()
    $event : ProgramBillingEvent( $amount : amount)
then
    modify( $total ) {
        addCharge($event, $amount)
    }
end

I'm working from the example modify block discussed in the docs at
http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/4.0.7.19894.GA/html/ch02s05.html#d0e961
- I haven't been able to find other documentation referring to this
construct.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kris