Re[rules-users] ading incoming connection in Action - Rule flow

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Thu Jun 12 17:40:45 EDT 2008

> Actually i have an action, which is common to a couple of splits, so in my
> action i need to log(log4j - file appender) that from which split request
> is
> coming from.
I would guess you would need to create two actions, one for each path,
before the join.  Those actions would have similar actions, i.e. writing out
something to a log, just a different message.

Just to give you an idea on how we are improving things to make stuff like
this easier, let me tell you how you could improve this using the upcoming
Drools 5 version:
 * You'll be able to add (hidden) actions on nodes, so your logging actions
could be hidden from the high-level overview of the process and specified as
an onEntry or onExit action of some of the other nodes (logging
functionality should not make the overall process view more complex).
 * Instead of creating actions that contain low-level code for logging a
message, you could create a higher-level (domain-specific) node for logging
messages.  This is a domain-specific node where you can specify the icon and
the relevant parameters (in this case a message and some logging level
probably).  Your process would only contain the message that needs to be
logged in a declarative and higher-level manner. And you would be able to
even easily switch the underlying logging implementation.  It will also
greatly simplify testing.

Kris