[rules-users] OutOfMemory Error - 3500 Rules

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri May 2 09:57:50 EDT 2008

   Barry,

   First of all, aside from permgen issues, if I remember correctly, we
fixed a pretty serious memory leak bug around August/September of last year.
So, I strongly advise you to upgrade to Drools 4.0.7, that is about to be
released.

   Regarding permgen, the best way to save space on it is to (assuming you
are using 4.0.7), share your rulebases as much as possible. Each rulebase
you create consumes a bit of the permgen space. More rulebases means more
space consumed.

   Hope it helps.

   []s
   Edson

2008/5/2 Barry K <barry.knapp at railinc.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone had to resolve out of memory errors with large applications
> using
> moderatly sized rulebases?
> Increasing the permGen any higher does not appear to be an option for us.
>
> DROOLS Version 4.01
>
> OutOfMemory Error in PermGen space. Our application has ~5000 classes and
> uses ~3500 rules.
> Each rules has on average 3 conditions and 2 actions.
>
> The application uses multiple drools rules engines and we load multiple
> rulebases into memory.
> Would we have a small memory footprint if we combine all of our rules into
> single rulebase and use agenda filtration to execute the appropriate
> rules?
> Right now it is cleaner for us to separate the rulebases.
>
> Current settings-
> WAS 6.1 on Solaris
> Max Heap 2560
> Max PermGen 1024
>
> WAS 6.1 throws startup errors if we increase the Max PermGen above 1024,
> so
> we are looking for alternative solutions.
> This seems like a lot of memory for permGen anyway.
>

> Asides:
> We do not use WorkingMemoryFileLogger
> We have tried using a newer Janino jar but we still encounter the
> OutOfMemoryError.
>

> When we have the rules engine running it is extremely fast and we are very
> pleased with being able to create our rules in Decision Table format.  If
> you have any suggestions for the above issue that would be great.
>
> What would you estimate the permGen usage would be on a 3500 rule RuleBase
> alone?

Edson Tirelli
JBoss Drools Core Development
Office: +55 11 3529-6000