[rules-users] To know about correct Drools rule file (drl) syntaxes

Hareendra Pelige Hareendra at virtusa.com
Thu May 29 02:01:23 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I am new to this Drools rule engine. After looking at its features, I am
really interested on this. I tried few samples given in jboss site and
got to know high-level understanding of the rule engine and how it can
be used in our business applications.

But, I am really confused with the rule syntaxes used in sample files,
samples published in the internet.

Few such syntaxes are listed bellow. Could you please let me know which
is better for enterprise applications?

1.

rule "Hello World"

    dialect "mvel"

            when

                        m : Message( status == Message.HELLO, message :
message

)

            then

                System.out.println( message );

                modify ( m ) { message = "Goodbyte cruel world",

                               status = Message.GOODBYE };

                System.out.println( message );

end

rule "Good Bye"

    dialect "java"

            when

                        Message( status == Message.GOODBYE, message :
message )

            then

                        System.out.println( message );

End

Questions:

Here, what is "dialect" and what are 'mvel' and 'java'?

What are the differences between 'mvel' and 'java'

2.

<rule-set name="disposition rules"

    xmlns="http://drools.org/rules"

    xmlns:java="http://drools.org/semantics/java"

    xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

    xs:schemaLocation="http://drools.org/rules rules.xsd

http://drools.org/semantics/java java.xsd">

            <!-- season sale means 10% off item price -->

    <rule name="season sales">

        <parameter identifier="item">

            <class>de.linsin.example.drools.domain.Item</class>

        </parameter>

        <parameter identifier="bill">

            <class>de.linsin.example.drools.domain.Bill</class>

        </parameter>

        <parameter identifier="quantity">

            <class>java.lang.Integer</class>

        </parameter>

        <java:condition>

            item.isOnSeasonSale() == true

        </java:condition>

        <java:consequence>

            double price = (item.getPrice()*(100-10))/100;

            bill.addItem(item, quantity.intValue()*price);

        </java:consequence>

    </rule>

    <!-- customer discount means 5% off total -->

    <rule name="discount">

        <parameter identifier="bill">

            <class>de.linsin.example.drools.domain.Bill</class>

        </parameter>

        <parameter identifier="customer">

            <class>de.linsin.example.drools.domain.Customer</class>

        </parameter>

        <java:condition>

            customer.isDiscount() == true

        </java:condition>

        <java:consequence>

            double total = bill.getTotal();

            bill.setTotal((total*(100-5))/100);

        </java:consequence>

    </rule>

</rule-set>

3.

package com.test

import com.test.common.*;

import java.util.ArrayList;

// Extract TestData

rule "Extract Test Data"

            dialect "java"

            when

                        $productRequest :
ProductRequest(bookingRequest!=null)

            then

                        insert( $productRequest.getDivision() );

                        System.out.println( "Extracted Test Data."); end

Could you please point me a location(s) to learn drl rule language with
its syntaxes?

Appreciate any of your help.

Thanks and regards

Hareendra Pelige