[rules-users] Chart notation, update, and infinite loops

Dan Seaver dan.seaver at ge.com
Tue Nov 4 12:50:09 EST 2008

I'm trying to find a good technique for updating specific facts in working
memory. What I'm currently doing is something like this:

Rule "Update Amount"
   when
      amountFact : Fact(name == "Amount")
      charge : Charge()
   then
      Double amount = amountFact.getAmount();
      Double chargeAmount = charge.getAmount();
      amountFact.setAmount(amount + chargeAmount);
      update(amountFact);
end

The update statement causes an infinite loop.
I tried using no-loop, which works if there is 1 charge, but not if there
are more than one.

Any help with solutions or strategies would be much appreciated.