[rules-users] Rules Scoring

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Nov 6 08:47:51 EST 2008

     The usual way to model that in production rules is to have each of your
scores calculated in distinct rules,  and have a rule with a lower salience
to check the total scoring and decide if it should fire or not.

     Another way to model this is to have support for uncertainty reasoning.
Davide Sottara, a PhD student from Italy, is working on uncertainty
reasoning for Drools, but his research is not ready for productization yet.

     []s
     Edson

2008/11/6 Waleed Zedan <wzedan at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of evaluating JBOSS Drools for our software and so
> far Drools found to be a perfect match for most of our requirements.
>
> Recently our customer has requested for a very interesting and important
> requirement and its synopysis is given below
>
> Rule
>     LHS
>        Condition 1 / Condition Group 1    (assoicated weightage is 20)
>        Condition 2 / Condition Group 2    (assoicated weightage is 50)
>        Condition 3 / Condition Group 3    (assoicated weightage is 30)
>
>     RHS
>        Rule Action / Output
>
> While calling the Rule Engine, the Rule Engine client will say "Give me all
> the Rule Output for the Rules matching 50% of the LHS"
>
>             i.e. We need to know the percentage of LHS match in the RHS
>             Using this percentage, we will call the Rule Action / Output
> Sample:
>
> if Condition 2 / Condition Group 2  and Condition 1 / Condition Group 1 are
> satisfied, then we need to have 70% (50% + 20%) match in the RHS.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and time.
> --
> Waleed Zedan
> SCJP 1.4 , CCNA