[rules-users] Rule processing for High volume input

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 22:04:07 EST 2008

I'm assuming you'll be running each rule base in a separate thread simultaneously?  There are no dependencies between the rules in the five rule bases?  If so, that will work just fine.

If your rules are simple enough you can use sequential mode.  It can speed up execution quite a bit.

http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/4.0.7.19894.GA/html_single/index.html#d0e1295

This could be used in conjunction with the simultaneous execution above.

Finally, you can get some multithreaded benefit in a single rule session if you're using drools 5 and turn on rule base partitioning.  As I understand it this works best when the rules have less join conditions in them. (i.e. mostly single object conditions, and less multi-object conditions.)