[rules-users] BRMS in a WAS cluster

seemamani seemamani at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 12:46:55 EST 2008

We use Drools 4.0.7 in our application which is deployed on a WAS 6.1 cluster
and it is working fine. Now we want to deploy the Drools BRMS also in the
WAS cluster. I went through the Drools and Jackrabbit mailing lists and
documentation. Please confirm if my understanding of how this can be
implemented is correct.

1. By default, JackRabbit uses Apache Derby in-memory database which does
not support clustering
2. We need to configure a persistence manager in JackRabbit that stores data
in a RDBMS like Oracle
3. I need to follow the instructions for JackRabbit clustering given here
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering
4.  Also, the Drools documentation says that "The BRMS will create the
tables the first time it is started up if it is running against a fresh
(empty) RDBMS - so its important to note that the user credentials supplied
have permissions to create tables (at least initially, on first run, after
that they could be locked down)."
Is it not possible to create the Oracle tables before running the BRMS (we
have permission issues in creating the tables from the application)? I
assume that the DDL for creating the tables is available with the JackRabbit
distribution.
5. Is there anything else I'm missing? Will BRMS work fine in the cluster
with the above setup?

Thanks,
Seema