[rules-users] DRL package builder or rule base error

Maxim Veksler maxim.veksler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:58:57 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM, vanshi <nilu.thakur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have some set of rules which work on same Person object but depending on
> whether a person is student/employee/Faculty, the rule will have dfferent
> logic.
>
> So, I've made 3 .drl files, one will have all the rules for students, other
> for employee and then last .drl for faculty. All 3 .drl have same package
> name (as the first statement in drl) but all rules are named differently.
> When my rule engine starts, it reads these 3 drl files and adds them to a
> single rule base, starts a new session, inserts person in working memory
> and
> fires rules.
>
> Now, my questions are...is there anything odd/wrong with this approach?
> Secondly, I had some rules names same in different drl and when I changed
> them ....then I started getting null pointer exception error..... during
> parsing of drl files. Any idea why is that?

Hi vanshi,
In our system the rules are deployed in a similar method:
We have a "include.drl", "globles.drl", "common.drl" and the specific rules
for each channel (C1, C2, C3).

The "include.drl" and "globles.drl" are inserted at system load to each of
the filtering files (common, C1, C2...).
All the filtering files sit in the same package "com.XX.filtering".

Up until now I had no problems with this approach, the only thing that I'm
concerned with is the RuleBaes performance because we use several "Packages"
to build the sessions.

I hope someone on this list could answer if this working mode has effect on
performance?

--
Cheers,
Maxim Veksler