[rules-users] Drools5M3 Issues

keithnielsen keithnielsen at discover.com
Thu Nov 27 20:35:31 EST 2008

Ok,

I tried to upgrade from M2 to M3. Big Mistake

I see that you have attempted to separate the interface from the
implementation by moving most of
the interfaces that are intended for public consumption from drools-core to
a new jar file called drools-api.
Unfortunately there appears a few different problems with this

1) Unfortunately you have duplicated package names (drools.core) as well
duplicated numerous classes across the two jar files
(WorkingMemoryEntryPoint and FactHandle to name a few)
2) StatefulSession interface has not been moved to drools-api and only exist
in drools-core

This makes this build unusable in Eclipse 3.4 as is. Also I am using Eclipse
as a runtime platform and this makes it impossible to simply expose the api
classes as intended, because when you you embed the rules engine as a plugin
you have to expose those packages containing the api you wish to expose, in
drools case that would be drools-api, unfortunately StatefulSession is still
in drools-core for example forcing me to export both drools-core and
drools-api which defeats the purpose of having drools-api since I have to
expose implementation classes from drools-core which also now exposes
duplicate classes, such as FactHandle and WorkingMemoryEntryPoint