[rules-users] Declaring an entry-point? (drools 5 M1)

H. Canterburry canterburry at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:21:28 EDT 2008

Hey,

I am playing around with the new CEP features in 5 M1 and primarily working
off of the blog posts and API doc.

I have some patterns that pull from a stream:
$candle : Candle( $instrument :  instrumentSpecification ) from entry-point
"candles"

I have my entry point in the WM:
candlesEntryPoint = this.session.getWorkingMemoryEntryPoint("candles");

I have also defined Candle to be an event in my rule.package file:

import org.test.Candle

declare Candle
	@role(event)
end

When I execute my sesson/getWorkingMemoryEntryPoint code above, I get a null
back for the entry point and thus can't insert the event (Candle). The API
docs for the getWorkingMemoryEntryPoint state that I need to define an entry
point in the rules file? Is that the above part in the rule.package part or
is that some other declaration? If that is a different declaration, is there
some documentation what that would look like?

The way I currently interpret the declare part is that I am designating my
Candle object to be an event rather than a fact. Does that indirectly also
declare an entry point? If so, how can I have heterogeneous streams with
different object types?

Thanks
HC