[rules-users] memory issue when listening to market data

Ingomar Otter iotter at mac.com
Mon Sep 29 14:57:37 EDT 2008

Ping,
I  think you should focus on the content of your heap and not on the
specific size.

So here are my 0.02EUR:
1. get a working heap dump (google is your friend)
2. Inspect the heap (dont focus on measuring it too much)

#2 should give you an idea what is consuming the memory and thus
should give you a starting point.

By the way: top reports the amount of memory the VM has allocated  and
the amount of physical memory consumed.
Due to Java heap dynamics this is only somewhat coupled to the actual
memory consumption of the VM.
But unless you start the VM with weird -X/-XX switches  the memory
allocated / consumed should come down a while as the VM shrinks the
heap.
So if it's not doing this the app is not releasing the objects.

This is probably an application and not a Drools issue.

-I