[rules-users] Organizing Rules in Large Enterprise across multiple business lines

Ross H rossh00 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 03:19:24 EDT 2009

A very good question, and one I think very important to the Drools
community. There is no doubt in my mind that Drools provides significant
functionality that can address this question, but it is up to us as the user
community to come up with specific use cases/stories that challenge the
current framework and work out how to best use the functionality provided.
Looking at your options I would say that 2) is getting close, although for
very complex organizations, there is no reason why you can't have multiple
repositories. This may be more for organizational/political reasons. I think
a run time rule agent does not care from which repository it gets it's
rules, it is just a URL.

Option 1 - well it is just not scalable and will suffer from the usual
infrastructure/deployment issues. There is no way I would attempt this.

The key question is how you structure your packages in whatever repository.
Let's assume 80% of rules are common across all BUs, but each BU has
variants.  Yes you could have a single ruleset/package with the variants
included, but I suspect this will get sticky in time, particularly with
changes and date effective rules.

So can you split this across multiple rulesets, again difficult for long
term management. One of the initial issues is how to share a common fact
model across multiple packages in the BRMS - it's on the do list for
BRMS/Guvnor, and how do you manage versions across multiple versions!

As to your option 3, I don't think it will work. Nice in theory but will end
up as a bottleneck. BU's need to control their rules and provide a
capability to deliver functionality to market within their timeframes. Again
a difficult problem and you need to analyze the scenarios, who needs to do
what when.

Rather than ask a generic question, I would suggest you consider your
problem space and post some concrete use cases that will engage the broader
community. I'm going to be looking at this problem area closely in the near
future and it would be good to hear from others of the specific problems
that the dev community can focus on to help solve our problems.