[rules-users] Drools Workflow functionality related doubt.

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Aug 12 19:30:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

Most of this information can be found in one of the various Drools Flow
documentation chapters.

Quoting Pardeep.Ruhil at lntinfotech.com:

> 1.  Is there support for multiple roles in a workflow?
I suppose you are referring to different human actors? Human tasks can
be assigned to different users or groups.

> 2.  Does it checks for sufficient user rights to execute workflow actions?
Related to human tasks, only person that have the right to perform
certain actions on a specific task.  If you are referring to more
generic process methods (like starting processes etc.), you will have to
make sure you only expose those methods to persons who are allowed to
execute these methods.

> 3.  Can Drools Workflow steps can access and update the related
content objects and maintain version history?
Drools Flow can access any information that is available, either
directly by offering it as a process variable when starting the process,
or by making it available as data that is part of the working memory.
That also makes it very easy to respond to state changes of data (I
assume this is what you refer to when talking about version history).

> 4. Is their support for Database updates and interfacing with RDBMS
possible?
You should probably try to make your processes as declarative as
possible.  But you can basically interact with any external service
using the pluggable work items, or by specifying the logic in a action
node.  If you need to access a RDBMS for evaluating constraints, you
might want to take advantage of the rule integration and use the from
keyword.

> 5. Ability to generate conditional alerts and notifications.
If you are talking about human tasks, notifications and escalation could
be specified.  More generically, you could use rules to augment your
process with any logic you require, so this makes it easy to specify
conditional actions.

> 6. Intefacing with other systems possible and Workflow engine can be
driven programmatically.
Communication with external systems should be done using pluggable work
items.  The engine also offers an API (defined in drools-api) to manage
the various process instances.

Kris