[rules-users] Using Drools for modeling with rule-driven agents

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun Aug 23 00:37:52 EDT 2009

Russ Abbott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in developing (if it doesn't already exist) and then
> using a framework for agent-based modeling in which the agents are
> rule driven. An important feature is that the agents and their rules
> must be dyanically manipulable. That is, both the agents and the rules
> must be first class objects that can be manipulated as the system is
> running. Can Drools support that?
>
> As someone not familiar with Drools I did my best to find out by
> looking at the Drools Expert User's Manual
> <http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html_single/index.html>.
> From what I could tell, the Template feature
> <http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html_single/index.html#d0e5774>
> in which one uses Java objects as Template data sources comes close.
> I'd like your advice before putting too much development effort into
> attempting to use it for that purpose.
>
> In particular, would it be possible to set up a mechanism that could:
> create and delete agents on the fly; associate rule sets with agents
> on the fly; and modify the rules associated with an agent on the fly?
> After each such action the system would change to reflect the change
> in agents and rules.
This is something I'm slowly working towards. I'm currenlty building an
architecture to be able to work with drools remotely - which is a bit
more than sticking an existing drools interface on a remoting tool. I
then want to try combining this with something like the rio-project,
which seems to do many of the other requirements you want.

Mark