[rules-users] Large Rule base failing? StackOverlowError

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Feb 20 17:16:40 EST 2009

Christie, Blair wrote:

> We are having a problem reading in large serialized files. We get a
> StackOverflow exception when the rules get to be 2m.
>
> Is there a way to overcome this without increasing the stack size?

What version of Drools?

You have 2 million rules? Just to be clear, was it working with 1.9
million rules? heh I'm intigued on what sort of app you are doing, could
you do a write up? I'm sure people would love to know about people using
a really large number of rules.

The limitation you reaching is a limitation of the standard
serialisation algorithm of the JDK, we would have to create a custom
marshaller to improve this further, which we may do in the future.
Unless someone from the community wants to do this? :)

Mark