[rules-users] Reasoning over hierarchies.

David Sinclair dsinclair at chariotsolutions.com
Wed Jan 21 09:27:33 EST 2009

You could have something along the lines

class Person {
     Person parent;

     Collection getAncestors() {
           Collection<Person> ancestors = new HashSet<Person>();

            Person currentAncestor = parent;

            while(currentAncestor != null) {
                   ancestors.add(currentAncestor);
                   currentAncestor = currentAncestor.getParent();
            }
     }
}

query isAncestor(String a, String b)
   p: Person(name = a)
   c: Person(name = b, ancestors contains p)
end

that should do it

dave