[rules-users] Reasoning over hierarchies.

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Wed Jan 21 15:49:32 EST 2009

you can do something like this to drive backward chaining queries.
Notice it inserts a new fact to drive the query down the graph, but
deletes that driver once all it's  children have been evaluated. It uses
the -5 salience to ensure it's done after all the children have been
evaluated. So just insert an initial FindAncestor fact call
fireAllRules() and it'll println if it's an ancesor, you could ofcourse
have it insert a result object, or set a value on the originally
inserted FindAncestor.

rule "query parent"
  when
    FindAncestor( $name == name, $ancestor : ancestor )
    $child : Person(  name == $name, $parent : parent )
    $parent : Person( this == $parent, this != ancestor)
  then
    insert( new FindAncestor( $parent, $ancestor ) )
end

rule "retract query parent driver"
  salience - 5
  when
    $f : FindAncestor( $name == name, $ancestor : ancestor )
    $child : Person(  name == $name, $parent : parent )
    $parent : Person( this == $parent, this != ancestor)
  then
    retract( $f )
end

rule "ancestor found"
  when
    FindAncestor( $name == name, $ancestor : ancestor )
    $child : Person(  name == $name, $parent : parent )
    $parent : Person( this == $parent, this == ancestor)
  then
     println( "is ancestor" )
end

rule "retract query ancestor found driver"
  salience - 5
  when
    $f : FindAncestor( $name == name, $ancestor : ancestor )
    $child : Person(  name == $name, $parent : parent )
    $parent : Person( this == $parent, this == ancestor)
  then
    retract( $f )
end

Mark