[rules-users] Drools 5.0 M5

ekkehard ekkehard at gentz-software.de
Tue Jan 27 02:03:01 EST 2009

Mark Proctor schrieb:
> http://blog.athico.com/2009/01/drools-50-m5-new-and-noteworthy-release.html
>
> http://www.jboss.org/drools/downloads.html
>
> The next release should be the candidate release, all modules now seem
> to be working, we are now just working on cleaning things up and
> improving and updating documentation.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Drools 5 seems to be a really great product. Maybe 18 months ago I
evaluated rules engines and business process engines and made my
decision to use jbpm together with Drools.

Now - in 3 weeks or so its time to really integrate processes and rules
into my application (ERP solution for small and medium-sized-companies)
- my server is ready (OSGI - EJB3) and my UI (Eclipse Riena based). Core
parts of the OSGI client-server app will be Open Source.

Last months I always noticed the problem for business people to
understand the differences between business processes and rules, because
from the point-of-view of business use-cases they are integrated. why
are there two tools / frameworks to manage the same thing ?

For me the main reason to use both was persistence of long running
processes and manual tasks in the past only available in business
process engine.

Now I read the documentation of Drools 5 and noticed that all is
availabe in ONE product: Drools 5. Thats really great news - I hope I
understood all well and I'll give it a try to do it with Drools only.
This gives me a better feeling than my previous decision.

Thanks for all your work.

ekke

--

ekkehard gentz